Sunday, November 12, 2006

On Death and Dying

As I think everyone knows by now, I lost my father last week to sudden cardiac death. My father's heart simply died. Certain things have gone awry since then. I can't eat or sleep or write. I can't focus on one thing for more than 20 seconds. I spend the sunlight hours wishing for a sign from my father and the darkness terrified that I'll get one. I spent the last week wrapped tightly in the anesthesia of numbing shock. My priest, who is quite fond of metaphors, once told me that the road to healing is straight through the woods, one step at a time. Last week I told him that I'm afraid of that, afraid of the amount of grief waiting just beyond the tree line and he reminded me - one step at a time. If there's one thing I can offer, the first lesson I've learned thus far it's this: don't leave anything unresolved. Don't let anyone wonder if you love them or not. Cling tightly to the people you love. The people I love have carried me for a week now. Without that, I might have been lost, wandering about in the woods. I pray we never walk alone.

3 comments:

P.H. said...

We are with you. One step at a time.

Anonymous said...

About two months after my dad died I had a terrifying yet wonderful dream. I found myself alone, sobbing in a vast open field. Suddenly, I was riding my bicycle as fast as I can, looking over my shoulder and fleeing some unseen threat. But just as I thought I'd lost the race, the bike lifted off the ground. I looked down at my feet, and there beside them on the pedals were my dad's feet. He wrapped himself around me, hands over mine on the handlebars, and we took off. The next time I looked over my shoulder he was below me on the ground, waving me on and smiling. It was a glorious rush of feeling that he came back to say goodbye, and to propel me forward.
Don't fear moving forward, or feeling what will come in the night. It could be wonderful.


"Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,

Is our destin'd end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow

Find us farther than to-day."
- Longfellow

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!