Saturday, August 04, 2007

I have been so STINKING GREEN this year. First of all, we bought rain barrels and attached them to our gutters so we could conserve water and still have a garden. We switched all our lightbulbs and faucets to conserve water and electricity and I've used the clothes drier ONCE since May. Two loads of laundry a day go out on the line to dry in the sunlight. And we've been buying all of our produce local and I've been riding my bike more to go places (with the little ricksaw on the back toting the yunguns.) I've attached the TV's and computers to power strips that I switch off when we aren't using them The only ungreen thing we do is pollute Lake Whitehall with our motorboat twice a week. But that boat is so darned fun! I can't believe I used to hate it. Last night we took sandwiches out to the middle of the lake and drifted while we ate and the sun sank behind a pillow of pinkness. At one point the surface of the water - which turns into glass at sunrise and sunset - bubbled as if there were a diver beneath the surface. The bubbling continued, some fifteen feet away from us, for about two minutes then stopped. I've no explanation for it at all except that the swamp thing was about to come out but saw our boat and thought better of it. Thank God for that because the swap thing scares the shanizzle out of me. I'd tangle with a lot of things but "Swamps" not one of them. Today is 8-4. I wonder if something magical will happen. I expect so since I dreamed about my dad and a pegasus and a little bitty fat turtle. So now I'm off to water everybody's gardens. I am the keeper of the green. PTCakes garden is the garden of a scientist, organized and full of the products of a brilliant mind. My mom's is the garden of an artist, lush and trailing and colorful. Peace.

2 comments:

P.H. said...

From across the miles ptcakes thanks you, and sends you warm thoughts and the love of friendship.

Anonymous said...

Very nice!

We've got a rain barrel waiting to be installed. Could you do it for us?