Friday, September 15, 2006

How to Plan a Wedding in Just Three Weeks

On October 8th my mom is going to marry the man of her dreams. This is a second marriage for both of them - my mom is a divorcee and my future super-dad (my mom's alternative to the title stepdad) is a widower. Both of them have kids - my mom has me and my superdad to be has three sons and all of us are married with families of our own. Mom and Superdad are going for the ultra-low key this time around. But when my mom used the words "We're just going to have something simple, us and all the kids and grandkids," I thought that meant everything was under control. Last night she called to ask if my future supersister-in-law had been in touch with me.
"About what?" I asked.
Long, l-o-n-g, looooooooong pause.
"About the wedding plans," answered my mom in her I'm-speaking-this-softly-because-I-can-see-the-end-of-your-life-and-it's-at-hand voice.
"The wedding plans," I said.
"Keep it simple," she growled.
What I'd failed to realize, way back when when they announced their engagement, was the command prompt buried in the exciting exposition.
Do any of you have any idea how long it takes a Libra to plan a wedding with all the choices involved??? Here's an illustration. Delta and I, both Librans, spent 25 minutes at the Toyota repairs counter yesterday with "the man" looking on before we decided to let him remove the door panel of the sequoia to see why the drivers side window would not go up. Twenty five minutes, one decision. We can't even decide where to go to dinner without calling a UN Special Convention. I can't speak for all librans, but when my very limited decision making tank is overloaded, craziness ensues. That's why I sometimes wear Delta's clothes and speak in tongues. So, my mantra - no - my prayer for the next three weeks is that no one ends up sitting round the reception table eating from Pez dispensers, wearing jester hats and drinking windex. Thank God my supersister-in-law to be seems to be quite level headed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it, I have faith panic and the thoughts of your mothers rage will drive you forward.

P.H. said...

A nearby Inn for the reception. One call; tons of money -- but the job is done.

All the best to the Super Mom and
Super Dad.

Anonymous said...

^There is no secret or any Rage:)Just amazement, all the planning and frenzie is from somewhere, not me:)My favorite saying is the Nike Symbol(not on the keyboard yet:) Keep it simple,8 Children and 10 Grandchildren:) A cookout and a cake with 8 candles is all we need , and everyone to be happy:)Rain or shine, and of course our favorite Photographer and her hubby and superson:)
LOve, mom

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I know you can handle this task. Hell, let the girls get involved, I bet you will never be asked again to help after the girls have there input of colors and decor.Best of Luck to them both, They deserve the best because they already have the best ( children like you )

Ms. Zuba said...

Wow...good luck! I don't envy you one bit. But tell your mom I said good choice on the date :) It's my birthday. I, too, am a libra and have trouble making decisions...