Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Whoa...

So, you know how we have this cute little Scotty Highlander camper, right? And how we're some camping fools, right? Well, it wasn't always this way. When I first met Delta, I had taken a life vow of not ever camping on purpose again. Something about shelter halves and rifles in my sleeping bag and brown recluse spiders and dirt on any exposed inch of sweaty flesh just did me in. But Delta loves to camp. He's also a champion peer pressurer. So one year I relented and we went tent camping and I was reminded of how much I loathe waking up covered in dew and stuffy nosed because I invariably wallow over some previously unseen hill facedown. I'm always cold and sweaty at the same time and I must be charged with some mysterious Swifter energy because all the dirt from everywhere sticks to the worst possible places on my body. So Delta bought me a pop-up. We used it two, maybe three times, then I decided that it was too much like a tent with wheels and I hated it. So Delta bought the little Scotty. Meanwhile, the pop-up sat in our back yard all old and unloved. The roof had some weird problem and all the snow went inside during the winter so the thing was basically wrecked come spring. Delta was sad. He thought all he could do was give it away on Craigslist to be used as a trailer. So one day this guy came over talking about how he wanted to take his boys camping and showing Delta his tattoos and they got along all right. Delta liked him because he came right out and said he was stuck in the eighties, and anyone who can do that - and actually is - is freaking hilarious. That was months ago. Tonight I was reading through the blogs and I noticed that a friend wrote about the camper she'd gotten from Craigslist for free. "No way," I told myself, "Too much of a coincidence. It couldn't possibly be OUR old pop-up!" So, I went to flickr and found a picture of this girl's boyfriend.
"Delta!" I called. "Do you remember the guy you gave the camper to?"
"What about him?"
"Did he have curly black hair? Was his name Karp?"
"Yeah, as a matter of fact it was Karp."
"Did he look like this?" I said, stepping aside from where I'd been blocking the monitor."
"That's him! That's Karp who took the camper! Why is he on your computer?"
How weird is that??? I'm so glad that Karp and Marla got the pop-up. I'm amazed that they actually fixed it up but glad that someone is getting some use out of it and making some memories. I really want to see how they handled that roof leak. Life is so weird. We took out an add in Craigslist and filtered a bunch of people only to give the camper to the boyfriend of a girl I've known since I was 16. Ha.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence!

kris said...

OHMYFUCKINGGAWD!
That is too damn funny! Tell me, was it my flickr page you found those photos on? Hmmm?

Talk about a small damn world! My world gets smaller and smaller... like that fact that a friend of mine gets her haircut a a certain salon where someones mother works... smaller, and smaller I tell you!

DawnApril said...

Yes it was your flickr page :-)

P.H. said...

Oh I have to go to that flickr page and take a look. Glad someone else gets to enjoy your camper.

Idiot Cook said...

I want a pop-up!!!!

And not the camper type!!!!!

(Admit it--you'd have been disappointed if I hadn't come back with a naughty comment)

Wiccan Chick said...

Camper actually worked out pretty well. We just needed a bit of caulking to seal the leak. There is still some work that needs to be done(ceiling paneling need to be replaced, new canvas for the outside); other than that the kids have had a wonderful time in it. We have used it three times in the past month and a half and I hope that we can get those things fixed (it is up to the other half to get things rolling) so that we can use it more next summer. Maybe we can plan something together next summer so that you can see it again!!