Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's been a while

Since I posted last. It's hard to type with roots growing out of your nailbeds.

I have an issue I've been wrestling with a lot lately. I wonder what would happen if you replaced the fifteen-thousand illegal Brazilians in Framingham with fifteen-thousand illegal Iranians. I haven't arrived at any sort of resolution yet.

I've seen signs held in protests stating that America was built by immigrants. Shoot, my own mother is an immigrant and my paternal grandparents were. That statement is bona fide. The country was indeed built by immigrants. But not illegals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An additional viewpoint is that the slave trade brought millions of "moral illegals" to this country and they, of course, have their own stake in the claim of "we built America." Not all the "legals" of a previous era have an Ellis Island certificate. I submit that the mixture is difficult to separate after so many years. It's a many faceted subject; not as cut and dry as many would have you believe.