Thursday, April 13, 2006

On The Last Post

I really am curious what y'all think. I know some of you don't live around here, so I'll tell you, the topic du jour is the fact that some 15,000 illegal aliens live in this town. As an ardent Mitochondrial Eve subscriber, I've never really cared. I like and hate everyone based on my own obscure criteria, not on their country of origin or level/lack of melanin. Besides, I love Brazilian food and I don't think downtown has thrived since Rt. 9 was built. But none of that is the point.

There's a real big labor issue. First of all, we;ve got all these unions. Now, I don't really get unions, or what their modern purpose is, but I do know that they demand their members receive a certain wage. So here come some people on work visa's or not, certainly not union candidates, and they'll work for a third of what the union guy gets because beggars can't be choosers. Right here in Framingham there's a shopfront downtown that serves as a meat market. The handler, for lack of a better term, drives to the shopfront in the morning, picks up some guys and works them all day for crap pay that wouldn't feed a family of turtles. Everyone gets all pissed off because non-Americans are taking the labor, not paying taxes, receiving free healthcare (with added benefits if they can produce a work visa) then shacking up, 20 bodies to a house, and sending the profits home to places like Brazil, where we've been milking the oil out of for decades.

So, I kind of get all these things a little, maybe not. Whatever. All I want to know is, who is winning? It kinda seems like everyone gets screwed.

There's an organization called BRAMA. This is their mission: To organize the Brazilian community in order to build an identity in the American society. But lately, they've been bullying and lobbying amnesty for illegals. Again, I'd love your opinion here. I don't really know how I feel about that aside from slightly amused. I think it's funny (in a very much not funny sort of way) that we are in Iraq bullying the shit out of everyone else on the planet, and these guys come to Framingham and bully the shit out of us. HA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Each wave of immagration bring the same issue to deal with, a cheaper labor force. When times are good and the "native" workers are content with their jobs, things are overlooked for the most part. Yet if a depression hits or war, the lower labor force becomes the target of hatred from those who have lost their jobs or fear from the sence of "close the borders, don't let anybody in"
Business needs labor to as cheap as possible to make the biggest profit, cause in the end, an employee is no longer a human being, they are a number on a spread sheet. Why do you think this has gone on as long as it has, because big business told the government to turn a blind eye "for the good of the economy".
Well, we have been on a down turn and were attacked, so now the public is demanding changes. The govenment will enact some changes but that is not going to change big business. Again, a human is a number on a spread sheet and those who are in charge, weither its the owner or the stockholders are going to want the biggest piece of profits.

Okay, I started this an hour ago and rewriten about 20 times, I forgot how I just start thinking about the historical contexts and such.
If the people are not hurting anyone, dealing drugs or trying to change my religion, I don't care cause they are human beings trying to do the same thing I'm doin', make a livin' the best I can so my son can have a better life than me.