Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

This morning we went to the Memorial Day parade in Sudbury. The parade seems to be shrinking a little every year, but neverless, I still manage to turn myself into a blubbering mess when they stop to play taps.

There weren't many people there. Not even a cupful of the turnout the 4th of July parade gathers. That breaks my heart. With the amount of troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, Horn of Africa, Philippines and wherever else we are, you'd think some more citizens would turn up to remember.

Is it the solemn nature of the day that makes everyone stay in bed? Maybe the fact that I'm a former Marine makes me biased to pomp and circumstance and the respect that a parade full of veterans deserves. I don't know. But I'll tell you what, there wouldn't be a 4th of July without Memorial Day. If there is only one grizzled old veteran hobbling down the street holding a flag on Memorial Day, there should be streets full of citizens clapping him on.

All political and personal opinion aside, we recognize Memorial Day to remember and honor those American soldiers sailors, airmen and especially Marines who gave their lives in service to this country and her people. The very least those of us still living can do is remember.

So, before I get off my soapbox, do me a favor: remember. Don't ever forget.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said!!!!

8-4

Idiot Cook said...

Beautiful, Big Mama. Amen to everything you said.

P.H. said...

I won't, and next year, we will go to the parade with you.

Anonymous said...

Driving on Rt 16 throught Holliston this weekend MAKES you think about it.