Monday, December 19, 2005

Happy, Merry (Fill in the blank)

Today I heard about the great big debate about Happy Holidays v. Merry Christmas. Fanatacism over the appropriateness of two measly little cliched words of good cheer is, frankly, not at the top of my list. And I am a born and bred fanatic. I'm fine with Happy Holidays. Predictably, Delta Hotel thinks I am jumping on the PC bandwagon. But here's the thing, the holidays kick off for me on the 27th of August (Phee Phee's birthday) and end on January 2d. That leaves, um, like eleven or so holidays not even counting solstice, kwaanza, chanukah or yule. I guess you could count the January holidays...then on to Valentines Day, anyhow. The point is, Happy Holidays simply saves you from saying "Happy Labor Day, birthday, congrats the kids are back in school, Happy Halloween, Columbus Day, Marine Corps Birthday, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Kwaanza, Yule, Solstice, Chanukah, Merry Christmas, Happy New year and whatever else I left out." That sort of nonsense would eat up time that could be better spent wondering about other modern quandaries like same sex marriage, Avian flu, Canadian terrorists and who lobotomized the president.

I guess what it boils down to is this: winter = holidays, holidays = parties, parties = fun, lawsuit over words = not fun. So save it for February when we've got nothing else to do.

5 comments:

Wiccan Chick said...

I have always said Happy Holidays, especially after turkey day. Since I work in retail all of the customer's that I have said "Happy Holidays" and have never gotten any kind of lecture from customers. As one that believes in other customs of this season, saying that phrase includes all and offends none.

P.H. said...

EXCELLENT COMMENTARY!!!

kris said...

I usually say Happy Holidays as well. I don't want to assume what holdiay they celebrate and I wouldn't want anyone to do the same to me.

Anonymous said...

Why bother to wait for February? Why bother to save it or bother with it at all.

8-4

Anonymous said...

and oh ,by the way, Merry Christmas...:)

8-4