Thursday, January 26, 2006

Definition of a Good Mother (or Father)

I inadvertently hurt my friends feelings the other day. I said something that triggered inside of her the feeling that she's not a good enough mother. I've been thinking about it, and I believe I have arrived at a good measuring tool. It's really quite simple. If you feel, at any time, like you are not a good parent, that you are setting up your offspring for years of psychological deconditioning, that s/he is not well-fed/educated/trained/prepared for life, if you ever know, deep in your heart, that someone seriously fucked up when they let you walk out of the hospital with another human's life in your hands, then you are a good parent. If you were a bad parent, you wouldn't care. You wouldn't evolve. You wouldn't ever try to do better.

Here's how to reach that elusive bar of good parenting: don't. It's not even there. There are good days and others. The good days are drops of honey melting on your tongue. Savor them. When you don't have the patience or the listening ears or the intention of scrubbing the chocolate from the corner of the mouth remember everyone's been there and will be there again. That's life. That's parenthood. I'll never forget when my Phee-Phee was born. Satan's second in charge delivered her, the nurses were mean to me, they kicked Delta Hotel out then gave me a roommate in my private room and let her husband stay and fart on the pullout chair all night while I desperately tried to get Phee-Phee to latch on/sleep. I was a thousand pounds of pissed off when our pediatrician showed up the next morning. I INVENTED the phrase "poor me" that day. I even had a window facing the Human Soup pond. But in the midst of all that drama was a profound truth (I've found that those little nuggets are usually disguised in a pile of excrement). Our pediatrician sat down, put his hand on my shoulder, recognized my state of near breakdown and said, "All you have to do is love her. Do the best you can, and all the rest will fall into place. That's it."

Can you understand the freedom in that statement? Forget about the donuts for breakfast, the SpongueBob marathon, the nap on the couch when you could have been teaching your four year old advanced calculus/French. Forget whatever punishing standard your personal bar is raised to and just love your kid and do the best you can. The rest will fall into place.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have finally got your cookies in one jar, as far as children go, never forget what you've just said or change your magnificient attitude.

8-4

kris said...

Amen and Halla-loo!

P.H. said...

This is wonderful, fantastic, liberating, beyond compare, and brought a tear to my eye.

Everyone print this out, hang it up on your bathroom mirror and read it everyday.

Idiot Cook said...

Listen to me. Go sign on to Writer's Market RIGHT NOW and look up the guidelines for all the parenting mags like "Child" and "Parenting" etc. Look for the essay guidelines, specifcally word count. Tweak to fit guidelines and SEND THIS ESSAY NOW.

Apparently, the good vibes are catchy...me, Patty, now you, Big Mama. Send it out, or I will send it out for you.

E-mail me if you want me to proof the final.

RB

Anonymous said...

It's perfect. You used the key to unlock the door to parenting. Just love...pure and simple and....real.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you.

Anonymous said...

I agree that this is publishable with a little bit of editing.

I feel your passion.

MyBackyard

Steve said...

A perfect example of the axiom "write what you know." This is very good writing.

Anonymous said...

i was not planning on crying but boy do you know how to push the waterworks button. this one goes up there with the 'remember your making history' comment another good friend once said of childraising.
thank you dawn!

Anonymous said...

the above was me
eLeN

Idiot Cook said...

Ahem.

How's your assignment coming along?

Do you need more evidence that this post is essay worthy????