Tuesday, February 14, 2006

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

People just don't seem to believe in Valentines Day. Now, I know there's no fat guy or acid trippin bunny or pardoned turkey, leprechaun, fireworks or menorah. Maybe that's why some people think that Valentines Day is a pre-fab chocolate/lingerie/stuffed gorilla day. But let me remind everyone: ALL HOLIDAYS ARE PRE-FAB. Every single one of them. All holidays serve to remind us of certain events in history or life that we are too busy to focus on the rest of the time. And that's OKAY. Holidays keep us touch with the natural rythms and cycles of the world around us. Why not inject a little charity, faith, hope, magic and love into our regular programming.

Nitroglycerin pills aren't naturally occuring either, but that's no reason for a heart patient not to take them.

4 comments:

P.H. said...

You have a good point.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Valentine's Day, even when Iggy is away.

I gave him a home-made Valentine's Day puzzle. I'm going through another child-like arts & crafts phase.

Idiot Cook said...

You know, it's funny...the holiday doesn't bother me, even thought I'm single. I don't really think about it too much. I did bring in Hershey kisses for my kids yesterday, but that's called "bribery."

Anonymous said...

I concur.