Thursday, February 09, 2006

There's Somethin Going On...

King Vitamin said my recent deluge of dreams about coyotes should make me careful. Luckily, whenever I take the dog out to poop in the back 40, I wear my flak jacket, kevlar, steel toes and carry my AK with three bandoleers wrapped around my torso. Unfortunately, I think there is a far more ominous foe than some mangy old coyotes lurking in the scrub brush.

Monday afternoon my mom stopped by for a cup of coffee. We had just settled down at the dining room table when the sound of static screamed from my bedroom with a man's voice blinking in and out, completely unintelligible. I ran to my room and found Phee Phee's missing walkie talkie. That's weird, but okay, easy to see the logical explanation. WELL, my mom plays this game with the girls, it's one of those little trot-trot games where the baby sits on your knees and you jostle her around like a human milkshake to the tune of a nursery rhyme. My mom's nursery rhyme is in German, so I won't attempt to repeat it but it roughly translates to this:
Hop hop rider
watch your step
or the pony will fall of into the ravine
and your eyes will be pecked out by ravens
Really, it loses something in translation. Anyway, my mom was just getting to the fall down into the ravine part, the most bouncy part of all, when the walkie talkie cut in again and a hyper-female voice screamed out the peck your eyeball part. Now, even that is explainable. Could have been my mom's voice riding surfer on some rogue radio waves, I don't know how all that intangible stuff works. Could have been a trick of the brain. I DID do some heavy duty experimenting back in the day'n all.
The next thing, right before we left to pick up Ya-Ya and take Phee-Phee to ballet, the walkie talkie went nuts again. A voice, so close to Ya-Ya's that I was fooled, said "Mom, MOM, come get me!" Phee-Phee picked up the walkie talkie and tried calling to Ya-Ya.
"Mom, I'm ready," followed by the man's voice cutting in and out.
Again, explainable. Could have been picking up cell phone frequency or someone else's walkie talkie. But wouldn't you know, tonight after dinner, the walkie talkie spoke again from it's little charging nest on the kitchen windowsill. And guess what it said? "Mom, MOM, come get me!" then "Mom, I'm ready," followed by the man cutting in and out.

5 comments:

P.H. said...

very scary

Idiot Cook said...

Sounds like the seed for a good ghostly yarn. You said you did cut your teeth on Stephen King. Perhaps you're channeling him.

Which is DEFINITELY ten times scarier than some ol' coyote.

Anonymous said...

Whatever your on I want some :)

8-4

DawnApril said...

The strange thing is that no one in my family has issue with all the wierd things that happen here. They think it's all in my "imagination". Humph. Cynics.

Steve said...

FC's advice: Write a ghost story.
KV's advice: Run like hell! Don't pack a bag, don't take your coat. Just grab the kids and run!