Saturday, February 25, 2006

What's up South Dakota?

I think it takes a special kind of arrogance to not only impose your personal viewpoint on others but to then consider your word as law and your law equivalent to Gospel.
When I went to school, I learned that The Republic of the US is different and better because it was of the people, by them and for them. Admittedly I wasn't the sharpest student in the bunch, but still I don't recall any part of the Constitution affording the government the power of moral authority. That's what the church was for. Thus, the separation of church and state.

I don't pretend to be a moral compass, but I do take responsibility for the care, education and life-skills training of my own, and I think that's the first step in restoring self-reliance and common sense. If you put my kid in a room with a gun, she wouldn't touch it. She would assume it was loaded and she would leave. I know this because I have taught her weapons safety since she was chewing on frozen teething rings. (call me, Dick) I wear my seatbelt. My kids know that if the car is on, so is the seatbelt. It's ingrained. And as for the sex thing...I'm not there yet with my girls, but the times coming and I'm studying and planning the course of action to take.

If I want to drive without a seatbelt on, let me kill myself. Women who need to have abortions will have them, law or no law. That's been proven already. And guns? Teach safety and compassion and responsibility not fear. Get to the root of the problem.

In the words of my father, "YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY."

Our current administration claims to be God-centric. (I think I made that word up) So my question is, if God gave us free will, who is the government to take it away?

7 comments:

Steve said...

This might make a nice Op-Ed piece in the Globe.

Idiot Cook said...

I agree with King Vitaman.

kris said...

Did n't I read somewhere that there was only one,ONE, clinic providing abortions in the entire vast state of South Dakota?

If this is true, then residents are already used to going across state lines for this. What then does a total statewide ban prove?

P.H. said...

Excellent Essay. Nicely written.

kris said...

FYI... Check THIS out.

Anonymous said...

Yes, submit to Globe op-ed.

Here's URL on how to submit:
https://bostonglobe.com/newsroom/Editorial-Opinion/opeds.stm

Anonymous said...

have you tried submitting to Globe op-ed?