Monday, October 03, 2005

Happy Rosh Hashannah

Disclaimer: I am NOT a theologian. After recently suffering a bout of EEE/West Nile/Malaria Menengitis, I'm not even sure if I am still a functioning member of society. I do not intend to make light of anyone's faith, merely to expand and augment my own as I shake off the burden of conformity. And document that journey for posterity. SO if you are easily offended by the topic of religion, do not read any further. Instead, go here and look at my favorite actor.

Since it's a well known fact that everyone's Jewish on Rosh Hashannah, I decided I'd ask my dear friend ElEn (Who, incidentally, is Jewish on the other 364 days of the year as well) exactly what it is she does on this most holy of days. ElEn did a breathtaking job educating me on the meaning and rituals of Rosh Hashannah. While I consider myself well-armed to face the sundown, bear in mind that I am a Catholic, and, by Vatican Standards, not an examplary one at that. For an honest to God (literally) tutorial on Rosh Hashannah, go here.

Cliff Notes - Rosh Hashanna is the Jewish New Year, the opening ceremony for the Ten Days of Awe during which time God reviews our behavior over the last year, makes notes in our files, then seals the books on Yom Kippur. The Ten Days of Awe are meant to be spent in introspection, scrutinizing our own actions over the past year, righting wrongs, doing charitable things and making plans to improve in the year to come. Basically, tax time for your soul. We Catholics have a theoretically similar period of repentance known as Lent. Coincidence?

Anyway, Rosh Hashannah happens to coincide neatly with my birthday, and I'm all for self-improvement so I think I'll have a go at it. Delta Hotel (phonetics because I am no longer allowed to refer to this person by name, but I'll give you a hint - he shares my bed) thinks that this is one of my more ridiculous ideas, religion is not a lunch buffet. I say, it's my soul, I'll do what I want with it, thank you very much. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: