Friday, October 14, 2005

Now Don't Get Me Wrong,

I couldn't love my washing machine or dishwasher more if I'd given birth to them. Last night while I was cleaning up, I thought about all my sisters who came before me, forced to name the days of the week according to the chores. (Monday's wash day, Tuesdays iron day etc...) These days, like strange domestic time-travellers, we can span an entire week's worth of chores in an afternoon. This is the age of streamlined convenience. There is a method or a gadget to reduce the time it takes to do just about everything. Our society rockets down the black-top, multi-tasking all the way because the quicker we get things done, the more time we have to do more things.

Have you ever been part of a swimming pool whirlpool? The longer you walk the easier it gets as centifugal force pulls you along, forcing you to participate even if you'd rather stop and play a game of Marco Polo. Water splashing up the lip of the pool, hands scraping on the concrete, eyes bulging with frenzied vortex creation.

Swimming pool whirlpool as a metaphor for life... Faster and faster round and round we go, never slowing down to ENJOY the life we are working so hard to create, never kicking up and floating on momentum, just continuing around faster still. Until something spins off under the water... heart attack, anxiety attack, vague feelings of unease, obesity, road rage...all baggage for the journey.

By we, I guess I really mean I. I can't speak for the rest of the world although I'd love to think that you all are just as mentally ill as I am. I try to make a meal in under thirty minutes. My family tries to eat it in under five. There's always something to do somewhere to go, and that's how I gained weight. Part of living in the now is doing less in more time. Preparing a meal that is healthy, nutritious and good, looking forward to sitting down together and then savoring it rather than choking it down like a half-starved wolfhound.

Watching listening, touching, smelling, living our lives sensually rather than laser-focused. Taking the time to float and enjoy the momentum of life for a little while.

No comments: